Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Clowns and a Country


In the middle of one of the worse political crisis in Brazil, almost every politician is being attacked, let's say, and investigated by the media. And just about all of them are guilty of something, money appears in the wrong places, disappears from others, and ethics is a veeery disputable concept now in Brazil. We have a complete circus, going from a dancing congress woman (no, I am not kidding. She danced in the middle of Congress after one of her friends was declared not guilty of corruption), to Evo Morales (I won't even comment on that, let's see what Lula does after this nationalization of Bolivia's gas and oil reserves first. Stands up for the country or rolls the red carpet for him? We'll see soon enough....) and Chávez, passing by crying politicians, poor innocent people having their lives ripped apart by the politicians, who now cry on tv, trying to look as innocent as a child. "Yes, I was there, but I saw no corruption. Never. How can I spend 9 thousand a month in gas? Well, you see..... No, wait, I can explain. I really can". So, as you see, a perfect circus. Or so I thought.
Until I was once more surprised.
The ex governor (governor? I think so) of Rio de Janeiro now got involved in the corruption scandals. He has a brand new one, borrowing an airplane from a convicted criminal (who is now in jail), and inexplicably receiving a few millions from inexistent organizations. And he wants to run for president, and it is actually in the third place in the pools. Well, so now we have this new information, and he doesn't look very innocent and honest, obviously. His reaction to all this was not to try an answer, show his innocence, prove to us that yes, he is an honest man. No, none of that. To expose the unfair way he has been treated by the media, what did he do? He went on a hunger strike.
Yes, ladies and gentleman, a hunger strike. As you can see from the picture, won't do him much harm, I suppose. But that is besides the point. And my point, if it hasn't become clear enough by now, is "what the hell is going on in my country?". I always knew the politicians were a bit stupid, but this is just too much. A hunger strike? I couldn't believe it... but it is true. I'm embarassed, mad, sad, and ashamed for living somewhere where this sort of bullshit (excuse me here) is tolerated, and promoted by the media. If it was up to me, I would just make sure nobody covered his story, and he would just die of hunger. Or maybe his brain just collapses from complete lack of use. Either way, it would help to put an end to this circus we created.
pic:http://www.terra.com.br/istoe/1719/brasil/garotinho/bottom_01.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home