Saturday, May 13, 2006

Family. Redefined.

I have to write this before I go home and forget. And since I have almost no time left here, I will just have to write it now. And it is soooo unimportant, so don't even get your expectations up.
I watched a lot of "The Sopranos" this semester. I decided that since it was one of the "best" series out now, I should just watch it all (I don't get it on cable, so I had never really seen it before). And let me just say: "wow".
The series is fantastic because of everything in it. The music is great (and I've been obssesivly trying to find the cd and can't I find it, obviously. Listen to at least the theme song, and then come and tell me you think I am wrong. I am not.), the writing is really something to pay attention to. The way it is written... it's just beautiful. A mob boss having panick attacks? FBI trying to turn people from the mob into allies? A wife bored, scared and alone?I can't explain it, but you just have to see it. It is so fluent, so involving, so... deep? I don't know. It's just amazing. The central characters, the not so central... everybody has something about them you will either love or hate. But you will feel something for them. Adriana, Chris, Rosalie, Richie, Janice, the mother: you can't help but feeling connected. Or maybe that's just me and series, but the actors really play a huge role in The Sopranos. They are the characters, and that means everything.
And this brings me to the acting. Oh dear God. I never understood how they could get all the awards they got, but now I do. All of them. James Gandolfini is scary with a soft side, and you'll be terrified when he is acting as the mob boss, but touched when he is sitting there in the therapist's (who is also fantastic, by the way) office, crying about his mother or the ducks that flew away and left him depressed. And Carmela. Carmela just.. exists. Edie Falco is absolutely brilliant in making her come to life: the hair, the voice, the looks, the raised eyebrows, the cross on her chest. Everything makes her so believable, so alive... i have seen Edie Falco give most of the credits to the writing, but you have to hand it to her as well, since she was just as good in Freedomland - with a complete different character, by the way, and that movie isn't exactly the best writing material ever. And she still makes you see her life, her pain, and just makes you see who that person is.
So, basically, what I am telling you here is that I added another series to the already huge pile that I watch. But this one.... is just different. the acting, the script, the lines. Everything. It shows a world i have never seen before, and it drags me into it, no warning signs. It's great.
pic: http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/cast/character/carmela_soprano.shtml
beijos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home