Monday, May 01, 2006

Music From the Motion Picture

Hey.... here I am again, bored and with a lot of stuff to do. But I just saw a movie and I wanna comment. After months and months, I saw Elizabethtown, by Cameron Crowe. And I found out that all the critics were right, unfortunately. The acting is just... well, just bad. As much as it pains me to say, Orlando Bloom really isn't the next Robert de Niro. Sad, since he's that cute, but well.... we saw it coming. And Kirsten Dunst, although with some great lines (the ice cream cone was just perfect), she's just... too much. When it's just her voice in the car, it's ok. But onscreen she's just annoying. And being that they are the central couple, it kind of ruins the movie. The last 20 or 30 minutes, it gets better, with him in the car, alone with his father ashes, music, and history. That part is interesting, and it seems more real than the rest of the movie, maybe because he is finally seeing the truth and the world, or something like that. But let's not get into that. But still, the first hour and a half is not enough to bring you to this last half an hour. Except for one small thing.... and that small thing I can find in all his movies....
And then I realized the only movie by Cameron Crowe I really adored was "Almost Famous". I didn't like Vanilla Sky (noooo, I didn't. I don't like it, I've watched it more than once, and I still don't like it. Sorry, but not for me), and not particulary fond of Jerry Maguire either. Maybe it's Tom Cruise, or him and Renee Zellweger. Meybe it is the too romantic discourse in the end, that I just didn't buy. Or maybe just her, I really don't know. The fact is, I found two common things I like. The journeys he tells us about (which is the good last half and hour of Elizabethtown, by the way, and all of Almost Famous), and the music. Always the music. And, thank God, Elizabethtown had that in it, just beautifully.
Cameron Crowe is the type of director that doesn't really use a composer, he just picks up good, gooooood music (and usually old), and puts it together, and it is such a huge part of the movie you can't really ignore it. It is there in Almost Famous even more vividly, and it is actually one of the only good things I can remember in Vanilla Sky. Soundracks are among my favourite things to buy (anyone who takes a look at my record collection can tell), because sometimes, they are not only the best thing about the movie, they make the movie as it is. And your relation to the songs can last much longer than you will remember the scenes in the movies, sometimes.
And all of this is just to say, listen to the record. Actually, the website of Elizabethtown plays the music as well. But listen to the record, in the car, at home, and just aprecciate good music. Almost Famous is just as good, just as much old music.... it's great. When you have some time, when you need to not think, listen to Elizabethtown.
beijos
pic: http://www.pap-l.com/favourites/uploaded_images/elizabethtown-757875.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home