Friday, August 18, 2006

Beautiful Boy

Hey!
And so you guessed, another movie. Just one today, although I have more to talk about, but this one deserves a full post. I had been waiting a long time to watch this, and it was completely worth it. So, ladies and gentleman, "Breakfast on Pluto".
I almost never watch a movie that makes me happy. Sometimes they make me sad, sometimes they make me feel like I have learned something, and sometimes they make me feel nothing at all. But this one made me happy. Which is a bit absurd, since it is a very sad story, if you maybe just read it, or if somebody told you what happens to the people during the movie. But it isn't a sad movie, not at all. I haven't left a movie feeling that happy in a long time.
The story talks about the life of Patrick "Kitten" Braden, a real life person, who I would love to meet. He/she just seems to be one of those people that are so interesting. His character is what makes the movie so cheerful: he is just happy. He is always complaining how serious everybody is, and how the situations always seem to be, and he almost doesn't care. It's not that he doesn't understand, it's just that he choses to deal with it differently. And that's one of the things that make the movie so unique. The other thing is Cillian Murphy. His acting is so exciting, so believable, so sensible. He is, in fact, a girl. He does something similar to felicity Huffman in Transamerica, but somewhat more subtle. And he has more help from hair, make up and clothing as well. But he is just brilliant.
I think some credit should be given to the director as well, since he is the one that imposes the tone of the movie, and the tone he chose and was able to impose here, the lightness and happyness it transmits, should be something to be praised. Also, soundtrack. Buy it, download it, I don't know. The soundtrack is fantastic.
So, there you are. Movie of the week, maybe of the month. It is so rare to find a movie that adds something to you and can still make you feel happy, and this one manages to do both. In the middle of the fight between the Irish and the British, the poetry and cheerfulness of Patrick/Patricia Kitten is what comes alive.
beijos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home