Friday, August 04, 2006

Run for the hills!! (Or from them)

Aaahrrrg!!!
You know, I adore horror movies, no matter how scary they are and how nervous they make me. They are like roller coasters. There is just something about the fear, or maybe the after felling, that I love. I put my feet up, I close my eyes, very randomly I yell. The girl from "The ring" gave me nightmares for months - yes, that is indeed ridiculous, I know. I tremble at every sight of Jack Nicholson after "The Shining"- although that might be because he looks a lot like my stepfather. But anyway, horror movies - may they be explicit (like the film I am about to discuss) or purely scary (The Shining), still, I watch them all.This last one, no nightmares, but I kept my feet up a lot. So, here we go, The Hills Have Eyes, which has a hoooorrible translation to portuguese ("A Viagem Maldita", or "The Trip from Hell").
So, this is veeery bloody. Veeery much. And the story is not the best, but you can't stop biting your nails in the movie. And some movies are good just for that. Fine, it's not art, it's not Godard. But it is entretaining. And I am a pro-entretainment person. Don't get me wrong, I am pro art movies, museums and cultural things. But sometimes... I just want to watch a movie, for all it is, but without any reflecting after it. Just sit down with a good friend and some popcorn.
But anyway, getting back to the movie. The tale of an american family, mutant people and the desert. Like I said, a loooot of blood, and some american conservadorism: the big bad monster gets killed with an american flag. Just lovely.
So, if you are easily scared, skip this one. It's too bloody, to graphic, and too direct. They don't talk, explain the plan to the victims - they simply kill them. Which is a nice change. "The Hills Have Eyes". Message from the veeery cultural movie of the week: Run away from the damn hills, no shortcuts, dogs are men's best friend, atomic testing is baaaad. And, for the sake of us all, apart from the american flag, America's triumph in the end of the movie is not all that clear.....

pics:http://www.cinebel.be/pics/b157563.jpg
http://www.kinogid.ru/domkino/images/hills_have_eyes_7.jpg
http://www.filmguru.net/images/stills/060315.jpg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home