Tuesday, August 08, 2006

What the hell is going on?

Hey,

I got two emails today, and both of them were quite disturbing. First, there is the email about this cute picture of a mother nursing a baby. Look at it, isn't it so cute? I don't even like babies all that much, but look at it! So so sweet. This picture provoked angry reactions in the US (where else?), people saying it was a disgusting picture, even calling it offensive. Now, please note that the complaints were coming from mothers of young babies mostly - as you can see, the magazine's name is "Baby Talk". So, I really don't get it. It is a mother, nursing a baby. Can anyone actually point out to me what's wrong here? Oh my God, there is a breast in it!!! Oh deeeaaar Lord!! Because no one has ever seen one of those. If you get pregnant, you have to assume that you will nurse your baby (or that you at least should), and if you find that act offensive or disgusting, why would you have a babyin the first place?? I don't get it, really. The picture is so sweet, the baby is so cute, and people complain about the breast in the cover of a magazine. Who caaaares? It's just a breast. People, please, grow up.
The second email was an mtv ad that didn't air - or only a few times, I don't know for sure. It is great! The text under the first image goes: "2863 people died"/ "40 million infected with HIV worldwide"/ "The world united against terrorism. Why can't it unite against AIDS". The other images repeat the idea: "2863 people died"/ "824 million people dying of hunger worldwide"/ "The world united against terrorism, why can't it unite against hunger"; "2863 people died"/"630 million homeless worldwide"/ "The world united against terrorism, why can't it unite against poverty?".
The ad is just brilliant, and the images are beautiful. In the email I got, it said that the ad was banned from mtv, although I can't really be sure of that. I just thought I would post it, since it is such a good ad. And because, if it is true, it is the second show of the ridiculous wave of conservadorism that dominates the US, led by our lovely George W. Bush.
beijos

1 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Blogger Sling said...

Wasn't that the most rediculous thing you ever heard?
I did a similar post on the subject when I saw the pic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home