Thursday, September 14, 2006

To read or not to read

So, I am reading this book, which features a collection of texts by one author (german, of course), obviously translated into portuguese - since reading in german is not very close to the top on my "i'm almost there" list. But anyway, I am only through maybe half of the book, but it's too intriguing not to say anything about it.
In the introduction, you get the feeling that the book will not be normal, or will not be easy. The author has discussed, so far, the stupidity that reading is. This is a really absurd theory to me, but it does make some sense. When you read, you are just using other people's thoughts. True, in a way. As he continues, he says that most of what is written is useless, as it is just recycling classic ideas to put your name in it. And that the time people use to read compusively they should use to think instead. Hmm.
First, who is worth reading? Who decides that? He, of course, names himself as worth reading. And the thought of not reading a lot to me makes no sense. But it was a new idea, one that I had never considered before (hence the post here). Should we read less and think more? Of course, that doesn't mean not reading at all - since other people's ideas are always helpful, and there are many, many, maaaany people smarter than you in the world; and their ideas will help you develop your own. But still.... the book is annoying me a bit, I don't know. He argues well, but I guess I am too stubborn to stop reading - may it be gossip magazines or Dostoievski. But I recognize his point - should we really be reading all this? Or do we just wanna show off? Do we in fact read too much or too little? So, what do you think? Who is right? Me, or a great and widely known philosopher?
Beijos

4 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Reading your post made me think!...I think your right.

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eu concordo com ele, a teoria dele me faz ler menos, e eu odeio ler, sendo assim prefiro ele ^^
Sorry dear ;]

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olá Júlia

Fiquei interessada em saber quem é o autor e o título do livro.
Será que podia divulgá-lo?

Um abraço,

Rosa

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Julia Moreira Leite said...

oi!

o livro é "A arte de escrever", e é uma coletânea de textos de Schopenhauer. É um livro bem curtinho, e bem interessante. Espero que você também goste!
Obrigada pelo comentário

 

Post a Comment

<< Home