Friday, October 13, 2006

Anna Politkovskaya


Hey
So, these are old news, but I just saw it now and I think it's too important not to be mentioned.
I only have the fondest memories of Russia. My experience there was great; beautiful, helped and disturbed by the snow - my first snow - that insisted on falling over us, wetting my shoes, my socks, my skin and my thoughts. The museums, the history there just seems to surround you everywhere you are. My experience with the Russians wasn't great, I must admit, and the misery of the most of the people - poor to the bone, sad enough to make you just want to sit and admire their pain. But I am digressing.
Anna Politkovskaya, a Russian journalist, known for her criticism of the situation in Chechnya, was murdered last week. She was shot in front of her apartment last Saturday (or in her elevator, depending on the report you read). Her editors have called her murder an attempt on press freedom, which it certainly is. But it's not the only point to be made here. She was about to publish another article about the abuses against human rights in Chechnya, the ever troublesome region for Russia. She had already been a fierce critic of Putin's policies for years. The same Putin kept quiet for 3 long days after her death, angering the rest of the press.
The article was published after all - even unfinished - but it doesn't change the fact that she was killed for facing a system that didn't wasn't to be questioned. It still does not change the fact that her courage, even thought it might have helped the world, ended up being her doom. Society was helped - but she is still dead. And I feel sorry not just because she was a journalist - but because it's hard to be hit in face with the fact that our world is still so bad, so uncheangeable and so old that it punishes people for their bravery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home