Monday, October 16, 2006

My Kingdom for a Horse.....

Hey
So, after this lovely 4 day holiday in Brazil, I think I can say I am a person with more culture. Or, at least, a person who is trying to be more cultured, and enjoy the possibilities the city offers.
I went with my cousin to see 2 plays, 2 different productions of Shakespeare's Richard III. A rich version, performed in a noble part of the city, with actors from Globo (the big, mean TV network that practically controlls the country) and a director that is our version of David Letterman, plus 100 kgs; and a poor version, performed in a small place near the decadent city center, and with not so known actors or director.
And, for one of the first times, money did not buy happiness. The poor play was amazing. the actors were scary good (especially Richard the III) and the limitations caused by lack of money were overcome with creative effective solutions. The rich version of the play was so much worse!!! The lead actor was very good, a bit exxagerated at times, but very good. The rest of the actors were bad, but what killed the play was the text. The text, Shakespeare's text, was so simple, so stripped of it's virtues! The person who adapted it for the play tried to make it so much more simple that it lost all it's qualities. I think he tried to make it that simple so that it would be more popular, so that the audience would understand it more easily. Like a Shakespeare fro dummies book.
In my most honest opinion, there is no point in that. Richard the III is so interesting because of all the mean things he says and does, and because of how complex his plots are. It is so amusing to see how he makes his way to power, fooling - and killing - everyone that stands in his way. It's a bit mean of me, and a bit prejudiced, but I believe in it: Shakespeare is not for everyone, it's complicated, complex, and its beauty lies just in that complexity. I don't think by simpliflying the text to reach the masses you actually do a good service. You mask the fact that they are not getting it, you kill the text's meaning when you kill it's subtle ironies, twists. To sum it up, I think it's meaningless, and basically a lie. But that's just me.
beijos

1 Comments:

At 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Realmente, nós duas estamos nos tornando mais cultas. XD
E sua critica também está muito boa, vai roba meu emprego ;/
auhauhauhauhuha
Te amo Ju, muito obrigada por esse feriado cultural xD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home