Monday, November 13, 2006

"Honesty isn't a synonym for truth"

Drugs, violence, mafia. The sopranos minus all the sex. Or, better yet, another look at the mafia, and this one has no soft side.
I didn't like Martin Scorcese's last movie. I though it was so ridiculously violent, but had no meaning. In the end, I though I missed something, because he is such a good director, so it must have been me that didn't get it right. But this one... as I watched it, my jaw just dropped.
The Departed is also ridiculously violent. But it has more basis to be, it all doesn't seem to be in vain. And when I say ridiculously violent, I mean just that. Very explicit deaths, a lot of guns and blood. I don't know if that much violence was actually necessary, maybe it was, maybe the point is that you leave the movie shocked by that.
And then, there is Jack Nicholson. Oh God. How can a person look that insane? How can he be sooo good? I would honestly run away from him if I saw him on the street, just on pure simple fear. He is such a good actor, he makes the movie half of what it is. He is just... Jack Nicholson. If you have seen "The Shining", expect a performance just that good. The other half of the movie can be credited to Scorcese and the rest of the cast, since they are all very good. And Leo, oh Leo, maybe this time they will forget he was a teenage girl's dream and give him an award, an award he certainly deserves for this movie. He is so angry, so afraid... vulnerable although he won't give in.
If you can get past all the violence, all the blood, enjoy all the lies and deceipt, all the tension and all the drama, and the great plot and fantastic actors in this Scorcese movie. Another good one, at last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home