Monday, February 12, 2007

A British Emotion

So, on the countdown to the Oscars - which, by the way, will be live blogged here, or that's my initial plan - I saw "The Queen" today. It's an impressivly vivid impression on the british, and especially on that old lady that I see every now and then next to her gooorgeous grandchildren.
I was about 11 years old when princess Diana died. Now, at that age, I can't honestly say that i understood how serious it was, or if it was serious at all. I mean, I had no relation to this woman, I had never seen her, and I didn't quite understand what was her importance in the world. For those of you who live in brazil, I heard the news of her death in the middle of the night, in one of those "special alerts" by globo. To this day, I am absolutely terrified of the sound of that. But anyway, I was shocked and sad. Why the hell? I was 11 years old!!!

Getting back to the point, the movie. Helen Mirren is spectacular. She portrays a woman nobody knows nothing about, and she does it in such a way we understand why she reacted the way she did to Diana's death. It wasn't because she didn't like her (although clearly she didn't), but it was just because she didn't know any different. People, british people, crying like children on the streets? As she says it a thousand times in the movie: "we are british. we are known for being discreet and moderate people. What is this?". She just didn't understand the people's reaction, and she acted on her best intention. She foghts for what she believes in, she fights for her traditions and for all that she knows.
Now, what is wonderful about the movie is how they can all portray their emotion in a way that is the opposite of the crying and screaming we see, or actors crying with tears and tears running down their faces. You believe them, and you can feel their sorrow (even if not for Diana, but for the clear demonstration that they did not understand or represent the british anymore). And they do not shed a tear. it is in that restraint that you see how Helen Mirren is a magnificent actress. She can make you cry without doing it herself, just by the change in her facial expression, body posture and the look in her eyes. It is beautiful. The perfect british emotion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home