Saturday, February 24, 2007

the dog

On my way home from work, I use a very big avenue in São Paulo. It's the sort of place where you can't really stop, unless your car breaks down or the traffic is stalled (which happens quite often). About 2 or 3 weeks a go, I saw something on the side of the road. I thought it was an old bag or box. But I took a closer look and it was a dog. It was probably trying to cross the road and got run overby someone who just left him there.
I pass that place everyday, and everyday the dog was there, rotting, alone. Everyday I looked at him, but I couldn't stop in the middle of the road, otherwise, besides the ticket I was gonna get, I was the one who would be run over.


When I came back from carnival, I couldn't see the dog anymore. I though somebody took it, cleaned it, I don't know, at least someone had taken it from there. And then, the next day, when I slowed down the car, I saw it. It was still there, but it had practically decomposed.
And that's the saddest I have been in a long time. Yes, I know, there are people dying in the same conditions every day, and this and that. But my heart just broke for the dog on the side of the road, that died and decomposed on the road, everything in him dying for sure, since there is no earth to absorb anything. The surest, most complete death. Just gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home